Sunday, December 15, 2013

Daring Desert Developments

Yes, we braved the snow and the cold. And yes, it was epic.

Today, Kelsey, Kurtis and I went to Wadi Rum. Wow.

I had gone hiking just outside of Wadi Rum earlier this week but the area definitely never ceases to amaze.

We didn't think we would be able to go, because the police told us the road was closed, but it pays to have connections in Jordan. What a fun day! Here are some highlights in pictures along with some anecdotes. Keep reading for my epic desert wipeout.


To start off our desert fun, we went on an hour long camel ride. Kurtis was nearly bucked off within the first minute, but after that it was an uneventful ride. There is something so peaceful about slowly plodding through the desert. The day started out sunny but it was still very chilly. It got cloudier and colder as the day went on. But we're Canadian! A little cold never stopped us.
The gorgeous desert view from a camel's back.

After our camel ride, we went on a 4x4 excursion through the desert. It was a lot of fun! Our bedouin guide took us around to a bunch of different places.

4x4ing Fun
A bedouin and his camels.

At the top of our first sand dune.

Just a little sand dune.
A natural rock bridge. Thanks to our guide for all the awesome pictures he took for us!
Me and Kelsey. You can see the snow in the distance - record breaking snow.
Cue "On Top of the World" by Imagine Dragons
Such a cute couple.

Baby sand dunes.

Our desert mode of transport.
We stopped at different points: did some small hikes up to view points, sand dunes, natural bridges, amazing rock faces, an ancient building used at one point by Lawrence of Arabia, some ancient rock carvings, and through a beautiful canyon. It was gorgeous.

Then our last stop of the day was at this massive sand dune. It is hard to tell from the pictures, but it was at least a 15 minute hike up the sand dune (longer if you took lots of rests/photo ops like me). What a leg workout!


Finally at the top!!
Kelsey and Kurtis ran down the hill which looked like a lot of fun and I decided to go down on the sand sled. Bad decision? Probably. Funniest decision ever? Definitely.


If you can't tell from the above picture, my journey down didn't go super smoothly. It started out alright (you can see the smooth sled track to the left), but then I started picking up speed.

Here's a little enlightenment into my thoughts:
Faster...faster...uh...this is really fast. REALLY fast. Aaaa.
Stick your feet out to slow down...AAAHH sand in my face! Sand everywhere! I can't see!!
Emily, put your feet back on the sled...oh that's better, but still sand everywhere...faster faster...BAM.
No more sled. Sand in my mouth. Sand in my nose. Sand in my eyes. Sand everywhere.
Why can't I breathe? Oh yah, I'm laughing too hard.

Yep, that's pretty much how it went. I can't say how it looked from the bottom of the dune, but considering Kelsey and Kurtis' reactions, it must have been pretty hilarious.

That was a definitely awesome and side-splitting end to the day!

Now I'm off to Israel, if my bus ever decides to run. Wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment