Saturday, October 18, 2014

A Proposal to Remember

If you didn't know already...a month ago, Kevin asked me to marry him! And I said YES!!! (Of course.)

For all those romantics out there, here is the story of how he proposed. 

The view from Signal Point

For awhile, Kevin and I had been talking about hiking to the top of Signal Point. Signal Point is a signature rock outcropping in Williams Lake that offers a beautiful view of the lake and city. I had never hiked up there before so we had been planning for awhile to hike it. 

It was a beautiful day






If you are from Williams Lake you probably will think I'm crazy, because "everyone has hiked Signal Point!" However, I had not; meaning I was not suspicious about a Saturday morning hike to this location.

And so, that is what we did. I must confess for a while I had been suspicious of a pending proposal and this day was no different. Yet, I wrote it off thinking he was not actually going to propose on this hike. 

Well I was obviously wrong! 

This in itself is a tremendous feat on Kevin's part, because I am notoriously good at finding out surprises and he is notoriously bad at keeping them. In fact, just that morning I had confidently told Melissa that I would know when Kevin was going to propose because he is really bad at keeping secrets. (Pride goes before a fall, anyone?)

When we reached the top of Signal Point, his ukulele was there and then I knew it was the moment.

He took out his ukulele and serenaded me with a song he had written. At the end of the song, he got down on one knee singing "Will you marry me?" He held out the end of the ukulele where the ring was tied.


 At that point I was a little tongue tied and he prompted, "You're supposed to say yes!" At which, I found my words: "Of course yes!"


After putting the ring on my finger, he led me to the edge of the cliff. Looking down, I could see he had written in chalk in the parking lot below: EMILY SAY YES!

It was perfect. 

Only at that point did I notice my sister, Melissa, and her friend, Sara, hiding in the bushes taking pictures of the whole thing! Melissa was part of the proposal plan all along and Sara came to take all the awesome photos. It was really neat to have them there. 



It was an absolutely wonderful day.



And the crazy thing is, this means I am getting married! To Kevin! An absolutely wonderful man who is kind, thoughtful, honest, funny, and handsome, who lives with integrity and purpose, and who has stolen my heart.

I am so excited for what our future holds.

1 comment:

  1. Yay!!! We are so lucky to welcome this wonderful guy into our family! So happy for you both! - Melissa

    ReplyDelete