The temples (wats) in Siem Reap were so amazing they deserved their own blog post. Honestly, they were so incredible I could gush about them forever. We visited Angkor Wat, Banteay Kdei, Ta Phrom, and Angkor Thom. We weren't planning on going to Banteay Kdei but our tuk-tuk driver brought us there and basically dropped us off saying it's worth it. So we went and it was my favourite temple! They were all amazing, but this one was neat because it wasn't very busy and you could climb around in it more which was neat. We even braved the rain and humidity. I love those ponchos and they keep out the rain well, but they really are like a giant sauna and sweat trap in the humidity. Thank goodness it was a "cooler" day!
We didn't take a tour guide, so I didn't learn a lot of historical or archaelogical facts, but we had a blast exploring on our own at our pace and taking lots of pictures! Hence, I don't know how long it took to build them or how they did it, but I am super impressed! It seems like there is more impressive ancient architecture than current architecture even though we are supposedly more advanced. One fact I do know about these temples is that they were built during the angkor period which was around the 12th century. Also, they were voted as one of the new wonders of the world.
Well enough talking...enjoy the pictures! Just know they are way more impressive in real life than in pictures. If you get a chance to go, take it!
 |
| Angkor Wat |
 |
| Bantey Kdei |
 |
| Our favourite picture. Thanks mister for being willing to take it for us!! |
 |
| Gangster Poncho |
 |
| Ta Phrom - the temple where they filmed Tomb Raider |
 |
| Angkor Thom - which was an ancient city. |
 |
| Still part of Angkor Thom |
 |
| There was a lot of precarious steps to get up to this one! |
 |
| Another section of Angkor Thom |
No comments:
Post a Comment